Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Finding vision at NECC, Washington DC

Last Monday I set out to attend my first NECC (National Educational Computing Conference) after being in my new job as Director of Technology at my school for just two weeks. My sister-in-law handed me a polished stone as she was dropping me off at the airport and the word vision was etched into the dark, smooth stone. I slipped it into my pocket as I stepped through the airport doors. I am excited about my new job which will require an expansive and expandable vision. After two days at the conference which culminated in a keynote address by Erin Gruwell, The Freedom Writers Diary, I am filled with the possibilities for a vision that engages students and teachers in learning that is relevant, authentic and all those things learning in the 21st century is supposed to encompass, a vision that includes our parents an administration and board in creating exactly what we want for our children today and tomorrow. I am inspired by the teachers and professors and business people I met at the conference who are working to make technology accessible and affordable for all so our children can be prepared for a future that we adults cannot quite see because it is nothing like the future we saw when we were their age. So as I try to process all the ideas my conference colleagues shared with me, I keep finding the polished stone in my pocket to remind me to keep the vision in front of me as it takes shape. I am exhilarated by the enthusiasm and passion of these progressive teachers and schools I saw and am committed to making our school progress towards becoming better than it already is. Just like the Marines, I want our school to be all it can be. The conference confirmed what I believed intuitively and gave me ideas about how to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment